Monday, February 7, 2011

What is a blog and why do I blog?


What is a blog?

Blogging is an on line dairy (journal) or a “dairy without a lock and key” is what I call it. It’s my personal blog that I allow others to view. I remember having a dairy when my girls were preteens; I would write all my personal thoughts and important things that happened in my life. Then one day, I heard giggling in the closet. I opened the closet door, sitting on the floor with a flash light were my daughters, reading my dairy. That was the last time I kept a diary…. Now that I have a couple of online blogs, I can’t even pay my daughters to read them… Funny!

There are many other types of blogs, but this one is considered a personal blog.

Why do I blog?

I have been asking myself this question, “Why do I like to blog?” I believe it’s because I want to share my thoughts and experiences with my family and friends that live out of state, but mostly to have a voice. I’m very passionate about my family and the LORD; I desire to share what’s important to me. I’m not a writer and not necessarily grammatically-correct, but I like to blog and have fun.

Some bloggers write to rant, to feel connected, sense of well being, and to get things of their chest without having to do it directly. Some like to just brag about their family and share a bunch a picture of their children. I’m guilty of that one, sometimes….. Ok, most of the time.

I didn’t realize how many people blogged until I started to research it. The first time I heard of a blog was when my sister mentioned that her in laws had a blog. She explained to me what a blog was, I thought, wow, that’s pretty cool! So that year I began blogging, my brother in law James, encourage me to get one, and He gave me the name Dinky’s Hum Drum Journal.

I started blogging, but it only lasted a few months. I guess, I thought that people would think I was being silly, especial since I wasn’t a real writer and I make lots of mistakes. I’m not sure when to use commas or colons, how dumb of me. For some reason this past year something had came over me. It’s, “The blog bug!” Now, I post almost every day. I guess I have a lot to share.

There’re many that start off sharing their passions and then get caught up in trying to make money off the blog. Which is fine, but I think that it ends up being a god instead of what they desired it to be in the beginning. But if you can earn a few bucks, go for it.

Unhealthy Tendency

My question is, why do I have this unhealthy tendency to check my stats, and desiring other followers? What makes me think, what I have to share is so important? Who would want to read any thing I wrote?

I have noticed that some blogs have hundreds of followers, thousands of page views, I mean thousands… This is serious business. I thought, “Maybe I will get thousands of people to view my page.” I don’t even know that many people, but it’s a nice thought! It’s like that saying “build it and they will come.”Expect no one told me to build a blog.

I think a small part of me is selfishly hoping for admiration and affirmation. It’s a very shallow attitude that I need to repent of. The only one I need affirmation from is my God. I do hope that one day my grandchild, great grandchild, my nephews and nieces will enjoy reading about the things that were important to their old grandma and or aunty. I hope they will enjoy stories about their parents, and things that my God did for me.

I hope they will be blessed and encouraged!

Maybe this is another way for me to be remembered, that I loved my family and my God with all my heart! ©All articles and comments on Dinky’s Hum Drum Journal are the property of Bridget Sherman and are Copyright protected.

No comments: